Sunday, May 8, 2011

A grapefruit.

According to reliable sources, my uterus is now the size of a grapefruit. I like grapefruit anyways, so carrying one around inside me sounds perfectly great. I can definitely feel the firmness of my uterus and baby human at the lower part of my abdomen. It's so crazy to push lightly on my stomach and know somewhere, way deep inside, baby is moving around in it's little fluid home. In case you didn't catch that, it's SO CRAZY!!!

Pregnancy has been lovely so far! My sister always said she felt absolutely wonderful when pregnant (I'm assuming this is before she would get close to delivery- rumors say she was pretty miserable at that part), so I was hoping I would follow in her footsteps. And most of the time, I am! The first few weeks I felt the same as normal- just craving juicy fruits and lots of water. Around 8 weeks pregnant, I had my first bout with morning sickness, but as my night shift people would know, my morning sickness would start about midnight. The first night I was sick I was at work... I'd be in the middle of a conversation with a patient and I'd have to bolt from the room. Let me tell you though- working on postpartum gives me the kindest and most understanding group of patients ever! Also, they have a lot of advice. My midwives told me to eat protein more often to increase my blood sugar, thereby decreasing my nausea. Worked like a charm! And I got to eat more, which I am a fan of.

After that, I've felt absolutely fantastic! I sleep all the time, but that was true even before pregnancy. The exhaustion has dissipated as I move further into my second trimester. I've had two OB visits- the first mostly a lot of education and checking to make sure everything (ahem... below) looked fine. The most amusing part of the entire appointment? Halfway through the (ahem) exam when the midwife said, "Well, everything's looking good. Josh? You want to come take a peek?"

The second appointment was lovely- the first time we got to hear the heartbeat of our baby. It was lovely. I'd post a video on here, but my computer is giving me some attitude at the current moment. It's on facebook for you curious readers...

I'm trying to think of anything interesting that has happened currently- I like pickles these days. I bought them on a whim, as I am apparently supposed to like pickles these days. But ever since I've started eating them, I want them all the time! They're so cold, so crunchy, sour and salty and delicious! I can't eat them near Josh; he tells me they reek. But they're so tasty!!! Also, I'm loving pink lady apples, watermelon, salsa, and cheetos. So, so good.

I've got to go. Talking about pickles and not actually eating one is driving me crazy. Guess I'm going to need to go to the store for a refill tomorrow...

3 comments:

  1. I love your thoughts on this new life growing..and how appropriate to post on Mother's day! Next year will be quite different.
    on a funny note on my pregnancy/delivery with Josh..after he was born and I was stitched up the dr. asked David how I looked :-) now really.....
    Love you
    Momma P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this is curious. I have eaten ALL the things on your "cravings" list TODAY....right down to the same brand of apple (we are loving them recently too!)... except for Cheetos, and I could totally go for that too. I'm glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice that you are journaling this process. It will be fun for your children to read one day. They may get after you for writing some of the more (ahem)personal details, however. I see Cindy signed as Momma P. I was confused for a bit not remembering that I had written that. I will have to sign Momma RP and she will have to write Momma CP. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete