Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Weekend Getaway. The First Ever.

I guess it is pathetic to be behind on blogging when it's only my second post. But I'm a busy woman. And currently I've been more interested in piecing my quilt than signing on the internet. I suppose late is better than never.

Josh and I finally had our anniversary get away a weekend or two ago. I mentioned the zoo and science center in my previous post. I'm very proud to announce we worked both into our schedule. I worked a twelve hour shift Thursday night, then we left Friday morning for the zoo. I am learning how to function without sleep for up to 36 hours. I think that is my record so far. On the way to Des Moines, we found this awesome eatery called "5&Diner." It was exactly the kind of diner I was hoping for, with jukebox, bar stools, and a server who reminded us of Vi from Grease.



















Anywho, back to the zoo. Josh and I have found most zoos pale in comparison to the Toledo, San Diego, and Denver zoos, so we try to skip the comparison. I always feel like a child at the zoo- I'm so excited to see the animals; Josh is a little more like a grown up. He holds my hand and makes sure I don't run off. Also, he keeps me moving- otherwise I might be tempted to sit and watch the giraffes or elephants for hours. I did get him to take me through the aquarium and aviary twice, because I wanted to watch jellyfish a bit longer. My mind is so blown by those deadly little things.






We stayed at a fantastic little B&B near Drake University in Des Moines. It was our first bed and breakfast, so it was with trepidation we stood outside the front door, wondering if we knock or just go in. Our hostess solved the dilemma by opening the door for us. Hurdle one, down. Phew. Our room was fantastic- we had rented the master suite for two nights, so it came with a king bed, sitting area, and ginormous bathroom! The plan for dinner was The Cheesecake Factory. Unbeknown to us, it was apparently National Cheesecake Day. So the place was swarming. However, all cheesecake was half price. It was indeed our lucky day.

Saturday morning we ate breakfast with two professors who were visiting for a seminar at Drake. I believe the topic was ancient music. The only word to sum our our conversation is 'hilarious.' Nothing like an effeminate professor regaling us with stories of weddings gone awry, his miserable health, and blunders in traveling. Breakfast was followed by a trip to the science center. The two highlights were watching Inception in the IMAX and playing in the kids' activity center. I would like to report that we made better rockets and kept our dropped egg more intact than the other couple our age in there. Ha! We followed up our science adventure with Spaghetti Works and then a quick visit to the Italian Heritage Festival. I must admit, we felt like posers, so we left real quick. The rest of the day was consumed with napping, movies, and a 10pm run to Jimmy Johns. Subs so fast, you'll freak!

And then the next day we went home and I worked another 12 hour shift.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like such a fun trip Ericka! I am super jealous that you got to see Inception in IMAX... isn't it just amazing??!! I am also jealous of the half price cheesecake. Not jealous at all about the 12 hour shifts, did you recuperate quickly? Miss you guys and LOVE YOU!!
    -Erica

    ReplyDelete